Monday 10 September 2012

Peak District and New Stitches...


For a long time now, I've wanted a new project. A big project for myself. While I love making cross stitch jewellery to sell on Etsy, the items are small and I can make several things in an evening, so I just can't get stuck into them in the same way that I can a big project.

I've thought about several things, I'd love to do a monotone cross stitch, and a fairytale cross stitch (I'm a bit of fan) and have thought about combining the two. The trouble is, I'm fussy. There are hundreds if not thousands of kits and charts that encompass these things, but I lack the time to search through so many for the perfect one. The more I stitch, the fussier I've become.

The other problem is that while I could buy a kit, I do have the Royal School of Needlework's cross stitch software DVD. I have used this to create all of my cross stitch jewellery and keyring/magnet designs, as well as a few cards and bookmarks, but I feel that it's time to challenge myself, time for something bigger. In short, I'd like to create my chart to stitch.




The problem with that is where to start. Do I design a whole kit myself from scratch? while part of me would love to, I am a just a little bit scared of the notion. I have little confidence in my skill to do such a thing, as there are smaller designs that I have struggled to design. Part of the trouble is that those designs have to be small, and in fact something larger may be easier, but to get the level of detail required I would need to be able to design from a very zoomed in level. I simply don't have the time to try and create my own chart from scratch, and I have absolutely no idea where to start.

Luckily (perhaps) I would also like to stitch something a bit more personal to me. I love landscapes, but often struggle to find ones that I like from the kits commonly available, yet I go walking regularly, especially in the Peak District, and have plenty of beautiful photos that I could convert. The trouble is, detail is lost in cross stitch, so a photograph of a beautiful view loses it's impact. I need a picture with a beautiful view, and something beautiful in the foreground. In short, I need to be looking for a scene to stitch when out walking.

This happened on Sunday. I was walking with Chris and some of our friends near Langsett Reservoir wen we stopped for lunch on the river bank. It was perfect. The rocky river bed and blue pool (thanks to the skies reflection, then water was actually brown, stained by the peat it of the moors). There was a few trees in the mid-ground, and hills in the background, all complimented by bracken and beautiful flowering heather. However, now I've just sat and looked through all of the photos I've narrowed it down to four, and here's where I need your help. Please comment below with your favourite and I'll use the overall favourite!

 
Photo 1

Photo 2




Photo 3



Photo 4



Thanks for looking!


You might also like
Friday Finds: Autumn Leaves
WIP: Shh Now
Friday Finds: Wales
Spring, Cambridge and Punting
Friday Finds: Seaside


9 comments:

  1. As a fellow stitcher, I'd say photo 1 has more going on, if you're anything like me and want to keep things varied even with larger pieces, it may have more to offer (colours etc). They're all beautiful photos though, I'm quite jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the composition In the second photograph. Lovely shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photo 1 or 2 whichever works best with crossstitch.

      Delete
  3. I'd look for a photo with someone or something obvious in it.
    like:
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/309_567089890762_6175_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Photo 2 is my favourite as well. I know exactly what you mean about wanting a big project to get your teeth into - I'm in the middle of one right now and it's great to watch it slowly progress as the months go by. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like photo 4, with the purple flowers in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, it's good to have lots of comments! Photo 2 is winning so far, and photo 3 has yet to get any votes!

    I must admit I'm fairly pleased, Photo 2 is the one I took at lunch with Cross Stitch in mind, the other 3 were taken by Chris (who tends to hog the camera) so it's satisfying to know that my photo is winning so far!

    Keep the votes coming!

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like 2,those rocks will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 has definately won! I need to sit down and get it converted soon!

    Gemma

    (You Sew Should)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and for leaving a comment. I moderate all comments to avoid spam, so your comment won't appear until I've published it.

Thanks for visiting, hope to see you again soon

Gemma