Friday 19 October 2012

Friday Finds: Tribal

It's been 2 weeks since my last Friday finds post as I was busy at Shake Rattle n' Roll charity event raising money for St Lukes Hospice. We raised just over £1000 on the night, which is absolutly fantastic!

Anyway, the break in my Friday finds posts has enabled me to have longer to think of a theme, and after some deliberation I decided on a tribal theme.

i love the craftiness of traditional tribal items, be it wooden carvings from Africa, Fabrics and Rugs from Europe or jewellery from Asia. Unfortunately, the real tribal items are hard to find in the UK, but there is plenty of inspired items on Etsy, (and a few of more traditional ones from further afield).

I love this brooch by Antique Alchemists. The patterned clothing and the shapes of the figures makes me think of tribes eeking out a living on the plains of Africa. it's also 22K gold, which gives the brooch it's lovely colour, enhanced by careful soft polishing.
 
 
 
 
Turquoise is one of my favourite colours (my living room is painted bright turquoise) and the pretty black inlay really makes the colour pop. I just need to learn how to make bead jewellery so I have an excuse to buy some from Snap Crafty.
 
 

 
 
Here's one for the boys, especially ones who like making a noise! This beautifully patterned drum stick roll up bag is just one of several intricate fabrics used by FleaPuckett. This alone makes me want to start learning the drums!
 
 
Tribal doesn't just mean pretty ornaments and jewellery, as these quirky measuring spoons by AQuartzyLife prove. You'll soon be reaching for the herbs and spices to add to your baking with these. The best bit? They're even dishwasher proof!
 
 
 It wouldn't be tribal without something wooden, but these chunky earrings are actually made from coconut shells! Made in Thailand by Fake Gauge Organics these eco friendly, sustainably sourced organic earrings are perfect for the tribal hippy in everyone.  
 
 
A more subtle tribal option is Shelter Protects You taplin bag, with a striking black and white print and camel coloured leather this bag is perfect day or night, so that's 2 reasons to get one! 

Happy Shopping!

You might also like
Friday Finds: Masks
Scarborough
Stitches Past
Friday Finds: Monsters
St. Patricks Day
 
 



3 comments:

  1. Wow that is great news, congrats on raising £1000 that is super! Love your tribal finds, they are very pretty. You give great advice too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and for leaving a comment. I moderate all comments to avoid spam, so your comment won't appear until I've published it.

Thanks for visiting, hope to see you again soon

Gemma