Wednesday 21 November 2012

Subversive Cross Stitch

Subversive Cross stitch is becoming ever more popular and widespread. It's cool, and quirky, it can be funny and a bit rude. It ranges from bad puns and geeky jokes to the more obvious naked lady's and swear words. It's a bit of fun and it's something a bit different, helping to drag cross stitch from the more traditional stitches to something more modern and steam punk.

Some of it I like, some of it I don't. Some of it is just too rude for me, (I'm really not a fan of swearing). The type that appeals to me most are the funny, cheeky, and humorous ones. The geeky ones (especially science, being one myself) and groan inducing bad jokes and puns. Cheeky fun appeals to me.

Most of my cross stitch is small things, jewellery, keyrings, bookmarks and cards, but I have recently started trying my hand at producing samplers. My first one (Home Sweet Home) is very much in the traditional style, and even looks a bit vintage when stitched onto natural coloured fabric in muted colours, rather than the retro brights available today.

 
 
I like it, but it's not particularly exciting. I fancied trying something a bit different, something a bit cooler, funkier, and definitely more modern. It didn't take much thought ( thanks to my reputation of smacking friends bums quite a lot) to come up with this effort, available here on my Etsy Shop.
 
 
 
What do you think?
 
 
 
You might also like
 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. I like it, it's good fun and will make people smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I'm glad you think so! Hopefully I'll find time to create a few more patterns!

      Gemma

      Delete
  2. Love the second one!!

    Joanne @WitchWayBeauty on Etsy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and for leaving a comment. I moderate all comments to avoid spam, so your comment won't appear until I've published it.

Thanks for visiting, hope to see you again soon

Gemma